Preparatory ChecklistA cause and effect essay serves to explain the connection between an occasion (cause) and its consequences (effect). Regardless of the name, there can be numerous causes leading to a single effect, and a single effect resulting from multiple causes. If you decide to craft this type of essay, you should follow 5 basic guidelines:
- Do preliminary research on the topic.
- Make an outline with thesis and topic sentences.
- Write a draft of your essay.
- Proofread and edit the draft.
- Put the final version together.
Components of a Cause and Effect Essay
IntroductionAn introductory paragraph is meant to deliver necessary background information about the topic of the paper. It informs about the purpose of the essay and prepares the reader for the upcoming discussion. An effective introduction should have:
- Background Information
- Thesis Statement
BodyIt is common for all body paragraphs to have a topic sentence at the beginning and a conclusive sentence at the end. A topic sentence is the first sentence, which introduces the main idea of the paragraph. A conclusive sentence is the last sentence, which highlights the main aspects of the paragraph. The body of the essay should include the discussion of causes and effects. It depends on you which pattern to choose among those available for a 5-paragraph essay:
- cause/effect – cause/effect – cause/effect
- cause – effect – effect
- cause – cause – effect
ConclusionThe concluding paragraph plays an important role as it is the last piece of information the reader gets. The main aim of the conclusion is to impress the reader and make a decisive point. To succeed in writing an efficient conclusion, make sure to include:
- Thesis restatement: Paraphrase the thesis statement to show how it has been proven in the body paragraphs.
- Summary of the main arguments: Use concise yet informative sentences to summarize major points of the essay and relate them to the thesis statement.
- Final statement: Make your case. Show why your argument is important. The reader has to realize the purpose of your essay and see the possible consequences of ignoring it.
First-Class Online Research Paper Writing Service
- Your research paper is written by a PhD professor
- Your requirements and targets are always met
- You are able to control the progress of your writing assignment
- You get a chance to become an excellent student!